Elk Ivory FAQ
Which tooth will you use to make my keepsake?
We use the elk ivory, also called “buglers” and “whistlers”. These teeth are located on the upper jaw near the front of the mouth where the canines should be. Elk have no upper front teeth. They just have the ivories.
What’s the best way to extract the tooth?
- Work around the bottom of the tooth on the root.
- Use a tough knife and cut down around the tooth.
- If you need to use pliers, use them on the root.
DON’T grab the top of the tooth with pliers.
How should I ship it to you?
DO: wrap the tooth in paper towels or tissue paper and send it to us in an insured box via USPS or FedEx.
- Put it in an airtight container. The tooth needs a few days to naturally dry out.
- Send it in an envelope or you’ll end up losing it in the machines at the post office.
Where do I ship it?
430 Main St.
Park City, UT 84060
Or, BRING IT IN:
430 Main Street in Park City, UT.
We’ll give you a free tour of our manufacturing facility at our retail store and a warm, homemade cookie, too.
What happens to my tooth once it arrives?
- We cut down the top part of the tooth.
- We polish all the knicks and cracks out of it and bring it to a high gloss finish.
- We make your jewelry to fit your tooth.
- **Most jewelers cut your ivory to fit their jewelry.
- Each order is processed all the way through at our store in Park City. The tooth you send us is the tooth you get back. We don’t send it out. We do the work in our store.
What color will the finished tooth be?
I have a cool idea for personalizing my keepsake. Can you do custom designs?
- Yes. We can even customize the points to match your Elk's rack.
- You can talk to the jeweler who is making your ring yourself. On the phone, or in person if you’re in the area.
- We can engrave your initials and the date of the hunt.
What kind of warranty should I expect?
- Lifetime warranty on workmanship. We’ve been making jewelry for more than 30 years. We are a brick and mortar store with an A+ BBB rating.
Why Park City Jewelers?
- We do all the manufacturing right in our store at 430 Main Street in Park City – your ivory never leaves the store.
- Your jewelry will be solid gold, not just gold plated. It will last through generations.
- We don’t just build jewelry, we build heirlooms.
- You want your grandkids to pass around this ring, talking about you, the mighty hunter.